Custom Search

Monday, March 05, 2012

Wheat Free, Gluten Free Pizza Crust


Since I've gone wheat free, I've really missed pizza. I tried one recipe I had that used coconut flour and it was awful - like eating pizza off of a cookie. Yuck.

Last night I surfed around the 'net trying to find an alternative. I stumbled upon a blog with a recipe for "Socca Pizza for One" using garbanzo bean flour. It's different than a regular flour pizza crust, but it satisfied my longing for pizza.

Now, I'm still playing around with this, but here's what I did today:

I have a baking stone, so I put that in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Mine is well-seasoned, but if your isn't, be sure to grease the stone. If you don't have a stone, you can use an seasoned iron skillet, and of course, you can always just use a well-greased baking pan.


In a bowl, mix:
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons garbanzo bean flour
1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon salt (I used Garlic sea salt.)
*2 tablespoons Parmesan 

Stir in: 
1/2 cup cold water
Drizzle of olive oil (I had some flavored olive oil from Tastefully Simple that's delicious.)

After you mix well, the batter will be about like pancake batter. Today I was eager to get my pizza crust made, but next time, I will let this set for a bit in the fridge.

With my pizza stone nice and hot, I poured the batter on and spread it out. Today I left it a bit thicker, like a normal pizza crust. Next time, I intend to spread it out a bit thinner. I like a crispier crust.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Watch it to make sure the top isn't getting too brown. I took it out of the oven and used a spatula to lift it up all around to make sure it wasn't sticking, then topped it with organic pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, green olives (my spurge!), and imported Parmesan. Then I sprinkled the entire top with pizza seasonings. Play around with it. Add meat (I don't eat very much of that.) and veggies. Put it back in the over for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted. 

Yum!

*Updated recipe 3/09/12: Last night when I made the pizza, I added the 2 tbsp. of Parmesan to the crust mix. I let the mix sit for a few minutes and spread it very thin on my bigger pizza stone. What a difference! Totally changed the crust and it crisped up better, too.

*Update - Someone asked about where to get garbanzo bean flour. We have a local grocery store that specializes in foods more difficult to find. If there's nothing like that in your area, perhaps you could order it online. This is the one I use:



Hope that helps!

If you try this and have suggestions, leave them in the comments. Thanks. - D.

Image: Suat Eman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight. Adding parmesan cheese was a good idea! Glad I can still have pizza!

Donna J. Shepherd said...

I'm happy you liked it! I was determined to come up with a good alternative.

Anonymous said...

Where can you buy garbanzo bean flour?

Donna J. Shepherd said...

We have a grocery nearby that stocks all the different flours - rice, coconut, etc. Hope you've had success in finding it.